AF meeting 9th October 2014
David Lange, John Harvey, Rolf Seuster, Andrea Valassi
[REMOTE], Nicolo Magini, Peter Hristov, Pere Mato, Marco
Clemencic, Gerri Ganis, Markus Elsing, Benedikt Hegner,
- Action Items
- Line Management Issues (John)
- HEP SW Collaboration meeting feedback (all)
- Report from the LIM meeting (Benedikt)
- News from projects
- Experiments Feedback
1 (3/11/2014 @ 13:00)
Management Issues (John)
- Nothing to add as line management
Software Foundation - HSF (Pere, John)
- Summary of the recent progress
- Initiated a 'Startup Team', lead by Torre Wenaus and Pere Mato.
- Early focus on HEP. Contacting the different HEP communities (LHC,
high intensity, neutino, Belle, LC, Theory, ...)
- Focus on 'Scientific Software' at the beginning.
- Two axes:
- Analyzing the 10 WPs
- Populate the body of the foundation with packages
- Communication tools
- Next January. SLAC 20-21 workshop.
- Single URL to information.
from the LIM meeting (Benedikt)
- ROOT 6.02 releases last week. New LCG
version LCG_70 with ROOT 5 and ROOT 6 in preparation.
- LCG_70 with ROOT 6. Fixes on NetXNG
should be acknowledged. Waiting for 6.02/01 tag.
- LCG_70 with ROOT 5. Request from
ATLAS to GCCXML to support C++11. The same CORAL and COOL API in
- Very confused discussion concerning
the different versions COOL/CORAL version 2 and 3 included in both
releases. The main difference being some deprecated methods that
will force ATLAS to adapt to the new interface, as well as some
using C++11 classes instead of Boost in some cases.
- Benedikt clarified the contents of the
- Savannah to JIRA migration status
- The moving of all required projects is
- Starting to shut down the services.
Towards the end of the week, Savannah will be in 'read-only'
- Marco complained that the migration
has been a disaster. LHCb had to hurry up on some migrations and
didn't had the time to do a proper check. In general, very early
notice and the result has been problematic.
- The complain has been noted. The main
reason for hurrying up has been the pressure from IT to upgrade the
version of JIRA that would have made the plugin used for migrating
incompatible and non-fixable.
- IT is willing to provide a Jenkins
- Requirements are being collected.
==> Benedikt will forward to the AF the the initial document.
News from Projects
- The main highlight has been the
release of 6.02, which is now part of the latest LCG release.
- The migration of the servers to new
version went very smooth.
- Development: version 2.1 is the
production version, the latest bug fix release 2.1.19 solved a
- Operational issues: some squid-caches
at CERN and RAL were accepting connections but not delivering. More
investigation is needed.
- Version 2.1.20 should be ready by the
end of the year.
- Validation cluster.
- Splitting software repository (core,
analysis). Lost some momentum in validating ROOT 6 .
- Not much to add. Fixes for ROOT 6 are
done very quickly.
- Final decision whether to use ROOT 6
at the beginning of November.
- Final month for finalizing the
software. Trying to get ROOT 6 as part of it.
- Using Geant4 10.0 patch X.
- CentOS 7 - Andrea is developing an RPM
with the needed packages.
- It is important to validate running
SLC6 binaries on CentOS 7. No 32bit in CentOS.
- Pere announced that he will need to be
replaced after having taken a new role in the HSF.
- Next meeting on November 6th