AF meeting 13th March 2014
Fabrizio Furano, Pere Mato, John Harvey, Peter Hristov, Gulio
Eulisse, Marco Clemencic, Andrea Valassi, Benedikt Hegner, Gabriele Cosmo,
Gerri Ganis, Fons Rademakers
Nicolo Magini, Marco Cattaneo
- Action Items
- Line Management Issues (John)
- Report from the LIM meeting (Benedikt)
- News from projects
- Experiments Feedback
1 (10/03/2014 @ 13:00)
- Setup a common calendar (Google?) with
the most important events. (John Harvey)
- Done. John will circulate the URL.
Management Issues (John)
- Preparing a more detailed agenda for the
HEP Software Collaboration.
- Interest in the community for common
packages. What can we do to encourage future participation into the
- How to create projects and initial
ideas for governance.
- The meeting will take place in the
Council Chamber. There has been very positive reaction for far. Plan
to send the agenda tomorrow.
- The link to the agenda: http://indico.cern.ch/event/297652
from the LIM meeting (Benedikt)
- Genser topic:
- Concern about the number of release
branches that need to be supported. Several versions of generators for
each configuration and many configurations being used at the any time.
We will be asking the experiments to be reduce the total number.
- Preparation of LCG 68 (to be used by
LHCb). Scheduled for sometime early next week.
- Required to have few days of nightly
builds before freezing the release.
- ROOT 5.34.18 is on the pipeline
(important fix for ATLAS). Version 5.34.17 does not build with
- It seems there is a problem with
pyxrootd (no more information)
- Savannah and JIRA
- Successful migration of the main
project for ALICE. They are now quite happy. The links to the old
project are there with frozen contents. It seems to work as
- Some more ALICE projects are still
need to do, but they are minor.
- Still some issues with automatic
notification of open issues even they are frozen.
- 40% of the projects to be migrated are
- The needed special customizations is
something that we have to discuss with IT.
- Integration with Grid software
- Because of C++11, it implies to
build all the Grid clients together.
- Get in contact with Alejandro. The
best is to build all the stuff all together.
- Federico is the person that is taking
care of it now. Not much progress with the new version so far.
- Lets make sure that this gets done.
- Version beta 3 is in preparation.
- For more details see planning
- One blocker issue remains. Should be
fixed today (but the nightlies had a glitch). Looks promising.
- If everything continuous like this,
LHCb can ask for the tag tomorrow. ==> Andrea will need to
provide two sets of tags.
- Pere asked whether the experiments had
a problem with requiring C++11 for ROOT6? It should not be a problem.
The problem will be for end users not attached to experiments.
- There was a discussion about mixing
libraries with C++11 and without C++11. We will need to re-check if
mixing is possible.
- Andrea will provide the tags for the
- Savannah to JIRA migration seems to
- Started the migration from CMT to
CMake. Marco provided the initial set of changes. There is good
progress. Just time is needed.
- Patch for release 10 was prepared.
- Preparation for 9.6 patch (early next
- Technical Forum next week on Thursday
in which the work plan for 2013 will be presented and discussed.
- LPCC workshop next week.
- CernVM-FS 2.1.17 is now in production.
- CernVM 188.8.131.52 with security
- Everything of the infrastructure has
been moved to IT. No service runs in the SFT computer room.
- Migration to JIRA of the Savannah
- Migration to JIRA successful.
- New release at the end of the month.
Use for test during the summer.
- LHCb wants to start with few projects
the migration to JIRA to check how it works, and later do the rest.
Delegate to other project maintainers afterwards.
- Started using the new CernVM-FS
stratum 0 to deploy the nightlies and releases. They noticed that
there is no easy way to remove history.
- They plan to tag and start building
the releases next week.
- Same issue with CernVM-FS as LHCb to
- They provided a list of projects in
Savannah that are not needed. David volunteeer to follow up.
- Next meeting on April 10th.