AF meeting 16th January 2014
Nicolo Magini, Pere Mato, Gerri Ganis, Marco Clemencic, Fons
Rademakers, Rolf Seuster, Marco Cattaneo, Gabriele Cosmo, Guilio Eulisse,
Peter Hristov, John Harvey
Benedikt Hegner, Federico Carminati, Andrea Valassi
- Action Items
- Line Management Issues (John)
- Report from the LIM meeting (Benedikt)
- News from projects
- Experiments Feedback
1 (11/02/2014 @ 13:00)
- Added Markus Elsing to the AF mailing list
- Setup a common calendar (Google?) with
the most important events. (John Harvey)
Management Issues (John)
- New SFT group organization.
- John presented the new group
organization with 3 major projects (simulation, libraries and
frameworks, systems) and change in the leaders (see
- He also presented the new initiative
of the HEP Software Collaboration.
from the LIM meeting
- JIRA and Savannah migration
- The migration of the ALICE project to
JIRA has made some progress but it not yet completed. There are some
links which are still missing.
- The MC generators for LCG_67 has been
released after the agreement of the versions required by the
- A CORAL bug had the effect of
overloading the Frontier sever. ATLAS needs to have a new version.
COOL/CORAL a bug fix is being prepared.
- ROOT and the rest of LCG stack has
been built for MacOSX 10.8. This has been a request from ATLAS.
- On the new SFT organization, Pere is
now the new ROOT team leader. Fons will continue to be responsible for
the release of ROOT 6.
- Integration meetings with the
experiments will continue. The release of ROOT 6 is expected by end of
- The bug affecting the Frontier clients
has to do with Oracle 10 and 11.
- Users are starting to use version
- A Technical Forum meeting took place
- The migration of CMS to version 10 in
sequential more is already done. Their performance measurements
confirm that the performance stays more or less the same.
- Measurements has been made that static
libraries can bring 17% improvement. There was some discussion on this
issue. Static applications cannot be done easily with the current
frameworks of the experiments.
- The use of the icc compiler and the
TPO? option can bring another performance increase.
- Use of releases for the year
- ATLAS will stay 9.6
- CMS will use version 10
- LHCb is currently testing 9.6.
- FileSystem: consolidation release 1.26
- Drop support for CernVM-FS 2.0 A mail
was send to get feedback.
- Preparing the plans for this year:
- PROOF virtual analysis facility.
Italian groups are interested on this.
- How to integrate PROOF lite inside
- AliROOT release in February will be
based on ROOT 5.
- Changes in VMC are need to adapt it to
Geant4 MT. The performance difference has been understood.
- The transition to Geant4 as the
official simulation will be done this year.
- They do not plan to use ROOT 6 for
production next year.
- Release 19 (major rewrite of EDM)
currently being build. It will be another release later in the year
with the fixes (19.1).
- Release 20 will be cut in January 2015
for the data taking period. It will be based on ROOT 6 if everything
goes as planned. If Valery makes substantial progress then is very
- Last Gaudi release with SLC5 and gcc46
has been done. From now on they will only support SLC6 and gcc48.
- Head version of Gaudi and LHCb can
build with ROOT6. As soon as ROOT 6 beta 2 passes all the tests,
LHCb will build a release with it to be fully validated.
- Default for users gcc4.8 in lxplus. As
soon this happens users will be using version 3 of CernVM. Very
estable beta version. Marco asked about the plans for a non-beta
release. The CernVM team is cosirerong a first release quite
soon (end of January)
for Coverity is bound on slc5. ===> Action to get this clarified by
Axel. Version 7 of coverity should support it.
- Finished the porting to Genat4
10. They are starting the validation.
- To perform this integration within a
branch in GIT has resulted to be very effective.
- There is a strong regression in the
compilation and build time when using ROOT6. It takes 16 hours to
build CMSSW (instead of 2 hour previously)
- Bill is making good progress in
integrating ROOT 6.
- A new release will be made at the end
of January. They plan for the mid June release with Geant4 10 and the
new multi-threaded framework.
- CMS is using Jenkins and they are happy
- Next meeting on February 13th.