AF meeting 5th December 2013
Nicolo Magini, Pere Mato, Benedikt Hegner, Jakob Blomer,
Andrea Valassi, Marco Clemencic, Fons Rademakers, Rolf Seuster, Marco
Cattaneo, Liz Sexton-Kenedy, Sebastien Binet [REMOTE], Gabriele
Cosmo, Peter Hristov, John Harvey
- Line Management Issues (John)
- Action Items
- Roadmap of cvmfs deployment and end-of-life for cvmfs 2.0 (Jakob
- Report from the LIM meeting (Benedikt)
- News from projects
- Experiments Feedback
1 (1/10/2013 @ 13:00)
Management Issues (John)
- New Technical student, Johannes De Fine
Licht, has arrived. He will be working on the geometry and navigation
for the experiments (performance, vectorization, co-processors, etc.)
- The dates for the Concurrency Forum
Annual Meeting have been fixed to April 1-3.
- Still pending to provide a common
calendar (Google?) with the most important events.
of cvmfs deployment and end-of-life for cvmfs 2.0 (Jakob Blomer)
the slides from Jakob. Discussion:
- The deployment is managed by the technical forum of WLCG. There is a
deployment table with the current status.
- It is possible to serve the two systems, the cost is 10 TB of disk.
- In general there was the question of why to wait 6 month for the full
migration. Can we not be more aggressive and push the migration earlier?
- So, the conclusion is that the sooner the better.
from the LIM meeting (Benedikt)
- JIRA and Savannah migration
- Problems reported by Alice have been
fixed. New test import started just before the meeting.
- Migration of ATLAS: got the list of
currently active projects.
- CMS: Giulio will collect the
individual projects. No offline projects are there in Savannah. It is
used in general for special workflows.
- Instance of JIRA for the AA projects.
Running currently version 5, it can migrated to version 6. Possible
time slot Tuesday Morning next week.
- There is a LCG release in pipeline
with CORAL and COOL (Andrea provided the final tags).
- Another request from ATLAS with the
latest ROOT 5 (gcc47, gcc48).
- clang release request. Build ready
with clang 3.3.
- What's next after this ATLAS request.
- Use latest versions of externals and
using the new infrastructure (ROOT 5)
- Benedikt will be absent from CERN
until January 20.
- gcc 4.8 is the only version currently
used for releases.
- C++11 can be used from now on.
- Problems with EC licenses migrating to
Jenkins from next year. One LCG slot is already built with Jenkins.
- 6 Beta released. Very good
collaboration with the experiments.
- Planing meetings will continue until
the final ROOT 6 is released.
- The ROOT team is keeping the same
momentum as now.
- ROOT web site announcement?
- Tags are ready and the release has
- Progress with ROOT6 reported at the
planing meetings. The Boost headers contain inline assembler (with
C++11 extensions this will not be the case)
- Tomorrow will have the Geant4 10
release. Last standing problems are being corrected (CDash is very
- Technical Forum next week on Tuesday
- No new release will be done after
Christmas in January.
- Savannah to JIRA already discussed.
- Moving to GIT as code repository done
yesterday (people asking how to get checkouts). Spurious errors have
been seen (using the GIT service at CERN).
- Said basically everything.
- Last Gaudi release with SLC5 and gcc46
has been done. From now on it will be SLC6 and gcc48.
to genreflex is needed.
- Worked very closely to the ROOT team
for version 6.
- Issues with the check-sums for the
- Typedef issues
- The fix is now is to ignore the
- Tested a build with G4 version 10.
Very early feedback indicates and issue with performance.
- HepMC mini-workshop on January 21st
- Long Data Preservation workshop on
- Next meeting on January 16th.