AF meeting 11th April 2013
Peter Hristov, Marco Cattaneo, Marco Clemencic, Rolf Seuster, Benedikt Hegner, Jakob Blomer, Giulio Eulisse
Fabrizio Furano, John Harvey, Pere Mato, Gabriele Cosmo, Andrea Valassi
- Line Management Issues
- Action Items
- Report from the LIM meeting (Benedikt)
- News from projects
- Experiments Feedback
Line Management Issues
No new action items
Previous Action Items
- MacService: Giulio Eulisse and Andrea Valassi acting as early testers; not much progress on their side though
- ROOT migration carried out on 10th April; successful, but a few fixes afterwards needed
Report from the LIM meeting (Benedikt)
Notes from the last LIM meeting
- gcc480 now available; nightly slot for it being prepared; time estimate to get the full stack provided with it is mid of May.
Discussion on supported platforms
- LHCb requests to support gcc43 until their validation is completed.
- Considering the time plans, jumping from gcc46 to gcc48 and dropping gcc47 entirely seems the best option; ATLAS needs to x-check
- clang as production compiler to be discussed once gcc43 has been dropped by all experiments
- ATLAS reconfirms long-term request for 32 bit; ATLAS willing to provide build infrastructure
News from Projects
- No reports from PF and ROOT
- two upcoming releases; last one for slc5.
- Tried experimental ARM build of CVMFS; very promising
- Simulation (via email before the meeting)
- tried gcc480 for reconstruction; 5 % speed improvement out of the box.
- release 18 is first milestone with C++11; timescale is in a month from now.
- LHCb not ready yet to drop gcc43; simulation not yet validated for gcc46
- Managed to build and at least start-up an application on ARM
- gcc480 build ready since a while
- vdt used in some production code; in high-pile up digitization speedup of 10-20% for specific parts
- close to have CMSSW running on ARM 32bit; facing problems with compilation units bigger than 2 GB due to address space limitations; used ROOT patch communicated to ROOT team
- moving code to GIT; planning to use github