meeting 17th February 2011 (VIRTUAL)
1 17/2/2011 @ 17:00)
the 5 to 10 most important requests/requirements for each of the
projects (Simulation, ROOT, Persistency, SPI, CernVM, Multi-core) (ALL
- Collecting them currently.
- Propose a presentation to
the AF of the ongoing work in
restructuring of the XROOT client code and improvements for WAN
transfers from ROOT (Pere)
- Since this is a virtual meeting we will try for
next AF meeting.
- Provide an answer to the Savannah
feedback document produced by ATLAS (Benedikt)
Report from the LIM meeting
Reports from Projects
- ROOT (Fons)
- ALICE made on exceptional request for a v5-27-00d release.
ALICE is still scheduled to move to v5-28-00a before the run. There
showstopper that Axel is working on, but solving it is difficult
as the ALICE code in that region also suffers from quite a number of
issues and the ROOT problem can be a side effect of the issues in
- We plan the v5-28-00a release on late Thursday or early Friday.
We are waiting on some last minute fixes in RooStats by Kyle Cranmer.
- CernVM (Predrag)
- Continuing to work on CernVM-FS replication. Currently, RAL and
BNL replicas are synchronized. We are working with them to improve the
performance and provide additional tools to verify integrity of the
replica and monitor whole process. The next replica will be setup at
CERN. My current estimate is that we could have 3 replicas ready by the
end of February
- Changes to CernVM-FS namespace
(/cvmfs/<repository>.cern.ch) have been implemented and are being
tested. ATLAS and CMS were notified of the need to reinstall the
packages in repository in order to be able to use this new namespace
without symlinks in /opt (as it is foreseen for deployment on the
physical nodes on several T1/T2 sites). Next update of CernVM (2.2.2)
will mount repositories in new location but will keep the links
in /opt for backward compatibility until 2.3.0 release (scheduled for
- Discussion with ATLAS on distribution of nightly builds using
CernVM-FS is ongoing
- CMS (Pete)
- I don't think we have any big items from CMS at the moment. The
main thing we are attempting to finish before datataking is our
ROOT 5.27/06b. (Our transition to G4.9.4 and 64bit/slc5_amd64_gcc434
are done.) As expected we have run across a few new bugs and of course
hit a few things already resolved in ROOT 5.28/00. The new bugs were
all handled by either Philippe or Lorenzo. This week we will
(hopefully) finish the validation of a release for initial datataking
with ROOT 5.27/06 and a number of patches, including a few provided by
Lorenzo to allow us to build RooFit from ROOT 5.28 with ROOT 5.27/06b.
When this finishes I'll send a summary mail with the list of patches we
are actually applying on top of ROOT 5.27/06b.
- As agreed before Xmas, once we have 5.27/06b in use, we will
then proceed to validating 5.28/xx + patches so we can be again
synchronized with the ROOT "production" release in one of the
subsequent CMS releases.
- LHCb (Marco Cl.)
- We in LHCb are aiming to pick up LCG 60a as soon as available.
Unfortunately there is a hint of a problem that can be related to ROOT
patches: one of our tests eats all the available memory, probably at
finalization, but only with patches.
I'm investigating it but it may take a bit of time and I'm not sure I
can report anything before tomorrow.