meeting 1st April
Andrea Valassi, Pere Mato, Predrag
[remote], Rene Brun, Pete Elmer [remote], Oliver
Kelemen, Gabriele Cosmo, Vincenzo
- Line management issues
- Action items
- Status of releases
- Platform and external
(9/04/2010 @ 9:30)
Line management issues (Pere)
- The IC post for the SFT group has been published. Boards will be
scheduled most probably in May.
- Provide test suites for dcache, xrootd, etc. in roottest (Rene)
- Rene reported that a standalone test for xrootd exists in
- Stefan reported [by mail] that order to run the test suites for
dcache we need to be part of a VO. This is currently being discussed
with the IT/ES team who is owning some "test VOs" which we could
probably join. A meeting for how to proceed on this is scheduled
for mid April.
- Include the standalone test suites into the nightly builds
- This is pending since it depends from the previous one.
- Configuration LCG_56f was requested by ATLAS a couple of days
ago. It was build
yesterday by Stefan and is ready to be used. It contains among other
- A couple of fixes in
POOL and one fix in ROOT.
- Additional fixes in COOL and CORAL (see the list of version
numbers from Stefan's mail to the AF).
- Andrea asked about the new version of Boost, which is kept
said that there is a problem with ATLAS to keep it backward
compatibility with TDAQ.
- Software installations for Theory (Stefan)
- We are currently testing a new way of deploying the AA software
stack in order to make it usable without configuration management tools
- i.e. "flat deployment".
- There was a meeting with TH who showed interest in this and a
first prototype has been made available to them. The reactions on this
were quite positive and SPI will continue to pursue this.
- This generated some skepticism if this is the proper way to
distribute large projects such as ROOT. It was agreed that Stefan
explains the main goals and implementation details at the next AF
- Geant4 is preparing a patch for version 9.3 (9.3.p01). Geant4 is
preparing a patch for version 9.3 (9.3.p01). This includes fixes in
various parts of the code, addressing also some optimization issues
reported by the CMS performance team.
and external libraries issues
- Python modules: the requests for python modules are steadily
increasing, we have decided to "group" python modules into the packages
"pytools", "pyanalysis", "pygraphics". These module groups are now
available for all platforms and have been also released in the last "58
series" LCG 58b. Modules consist of
- pytools: processing,
ipython, pytest, mock, scons, 4suite, pyxml, cx_oracle, mysql_python
- pyanalysis: numpy, scipy, matplotlib
- pygraphics: pyqt, sip, pydot, pyparsing
- Mysql: in order to fix one problem on a windows test Andrea
proposed to upgrade the version of the mysql installation from 5.0.18
-> 5.1.45. This is currently being done.
Andrea asked if we need to continue to maintain the mysql back-end for
CORAL. CMS has
dropped it some time ago. He will send a mail to the experiment
contacts to get an
- Oracle. Finally the SElinux bug on OCI library 64 bit has been
with only 12 months delay! :-) The 32 bit
OCI was already fixed in default version 18.104.22.168.0. Actually the
difference is simply an additional -fPIC
option for a single C file in the makefile. Still two issues remain:
- The OCCI is still not fixed for 64 bit. ---> another 12
- The fix for the ppteron/quadcore still missing [added after the
meeting: a fix to solve this issue for ATLAS has been received]
- Python: We are currently testing Python 2.6 on a separate
nightlies slot, i.e. the python 2.6 package with the rest of the
dependencies on 2.5.4. In order to run the full validation e.g. by
ATLAS this would need a porting of all dependent packages. QUESTION: If
successful, can this be seen as a mid/longterm perspective of moving
the whole AA software stack in production to Python 2.6? No answer yet.
--> Action all
- Happy with the POOL fix. Nothing else to report.
- The LHCb experiment has an interest in the Neurobayes product.
- Concerning TMVA they are going through a number of issues
in the interface, message verbosity, memory and optimization). The
authors are going to
provide a number of changes to the package.
- Nothing additional particularly new.
- Workshop preparation (dates, goals, etc.)
- The dates has been converged to June 20 and 21. It will be a
one and half day event starting Monday afternoon.
- A still empty agenda
has been prepared.
- First announcement will be done to
the experiments. -->
Action Pere to send the pre-announcement to
- Virtualization (Predrag)
- He promised the version 2.0 beta end of March and didn't
date will be in 2 weeks. It almost works but need some polishing and it
time to iterate.
- Multi-core (Vincenzo)
- There was a meeting
this morning with several reports.
- Fork and COW is well established.
- PSS as a measure of memory usage. Next step is to involve
friendly sites to test it and produce a solid technical proposal. Peter
volunteer to run on some CMS site and get some numbers and the feedback. --> Action Pete and
Vincenzo to write a half-page proposal.
- Using intrinsics to make use SSE operations. It is a trade-of
between clarity and using intrinsics.
- There is an interest from CMS and LHCb physicists to use the Neurobayes
software for their reconstruction and analysis code. ATLAS is
already using it for some evaluation. This is a commercial software
package (code delivered in binary form) that in principle CERN and the
CERN's experiments can get almost for free. It was agreed that the
negotiations of the conditions with the company is done in common for
all experiments under the auspices of the PH-SFT group.
- Next meeting in two weeks. Pere will be absent and will ask
Gabriele to chair the meeting.